I've been thinking lately about documentary I watched called, Happy Valley. When the woman the film followed through rehab got clean, the camera panned in on her rolled up in fetal position like a deflated balloon--no air, no angst--and asked her how she was feeling. She replied, "I feel just like everybody else . . . boring." And that honesty hung in the air for a poignant pause before she asked the camera man, "Is this how you feel every day?"
That's how I feel today. (Do you think it would help if I went out and got myself a Mountain Dew addiction or something? ;)Do you think mid-life crisis and mid-life boredom by any other name would smell the same?
Maybe I'm just experiencing mid-week boredom or mid-morning boredom.
Or maybe it's PSFFRB (Post Super Fun Family Reunion Boredom)
At any rate, it's not like I'm sitting around playing solitaire and doing Sudoku puzzles all day. I've got far too much to do, it's just that . . . (between me and you) . . . I'm bored silly doing it.
Okay, okay, I'm obviously overstating the obvious, but, for the record, folding laundry, scrubbing toilets and preparing dinner and coordinating carpool doesn't hold the same charge as talking story and eating chalupas on the back porch at Island Park with 50 people you love.
What I'm trying to say is I miss my family.
Besides the boredom we are doing great. The twins are having a challenging time staying awake in the 4th grade because their teacher is so sweet.
Zach is learning how to organize his time and energy to meet the homework demands of Junior High and he has expressed fear of becoming a "band geek" since we strongly suggested/borderline forced him to sign up for band.
He passed the sacrament for the first time on Sunday, with his extraordinary deer-in-the-headlights focus. And he's getting into basketball. Alan has been asked to be his coach, so he will not be doing color at the BYU-Hawaii basketball games this year.
Tatum is in High School and sporting that Disney-Channel-teen-rock-star kinda vibe. In schizophrenic fashion she has joined the debate team, while still juggling dance team, 3 soccer leagues, the Koolau Choir and the tennis team. And she has the nerve to say she's not good at anything. Rumor has it she is slated as the best girl on the varsity team.
Alan has had next-to-no transition back to reality after reunioning with the Framptons in Yellowstone. He's pleasant and content and ever so happy to slip right back into action (except when it comes to scout mastering). His biggest thrill was patching our Sante Fe's flat tire all by himself. (He finds such joy in the little things. ;)
Me? I reorganized the visiting teaching list. YAWN! Oh, and I did have a GNO (girls night out) for Creme Brule' at Turtle Bay, where I got super wild and convinced the other girls to petition for more form fitting garments. I also took the family on a hike to a massive 100-foot waterfall.
It's so beautiful here that it hurts. (And sometimes I just want to hurt it back.)
Alan makes sure we tread water for an hour at the pool a few times a week, take our early morning walks on the beach, and smack the tennis ball around as often as possible. He's been dragging the kids to the tennis courts a lot since we've been home and is getting ready to coach the twin's soccer team.
On the movie front: Hellboy II, is an awesome family flick, despite it's name. (We are trying to get Tatum over her I'm-NOT-going-to-see-a-movie-with-a-swear-word-in-it mentality). Batman II was also pretty darn powerful. That Joker said some eerily ironic lines that made me go Hmmmmm. . . A lot of complexity to contemplate.
That's all the nothingness I have to say.
On the movie front: Hellboy II, is an awesome family flick, despite it's name. (We are trying to get Tatum over her I'm-NOT-going-to-see-a-movie-with-a-swear-word-in-it mentality). Batman II was also pretty darn powerful. That Joker said some eerily ironic lines that made me go Hmmmmm. . . A lot of complexity to contemplate.
That's all the nothingness I have to say.

No comments:
Post a Comment